Skip to main content

[Outlander Summary] S01E08: Both Sides Now.


Back in to 20th century, Frank is in police station expecting news about his missing wife. The detective who working on the case say they don't have any clue about his wife. The detective only theory is Claire wasn't taken against her will. Together with Reverend Wakefield, Frank work on every possibility about what happened to Claire.

A woman approach Frank at the bar tell him she recognize the highlander on pamphlet. Turn out she's a fraud and just want the reward. Frank become violent when he's found out he's been lied to. Reverend Wakefield suggest he go back to Oxford and start a new life.

When Jamie and Claire on the picnic, Jamie's friend Hugh Munro show up and give him news that there's a witness who can prove his innocence. When Dougal & his men camp at night, they were attack by the grants. Angus teach Claire how to use a knife so she can defend herself if there are another attack.


Mrs. Graham finally told Frank her theory about Claire disappearance, that Claire possibly travel through stones to different time and can be return. Frank doesn't believe her explanation. On his way back to Oxford, Frank stop by to Craigh Na Dun.

2 redcoats caught Jamie and Claire and this time Claire has to use the knife to protect herself. Dougal think it's probably Horrocks (the witness) who setting a trap for Jamie through Munro. Dougal suggest they go to see him immediately, and just leave Claire with Willie alone.

Claire Fraser Monologue #1:

My mind jumped and danced from thought to thought,
like a stone skipping across a pond.
My parents, men I'd seen die,
the smell of uncle Lamb's cigarettes.
Errol Flynn swinging on a rope,
the feeling of my dagger tip puncturing the kidney.

I knew he was worried about me,
knew he wanted to talk about what had happened,
but I knew if I did, if I started giving rein to my feelings,
things would pour out of me that I wanted to keep locked away forever.

Claire Fraser Monologue #2:

I don't remember getting on my horse.
I don't remember riding away, or even how long we rode.
All I can recall of that pivotal moment in my life was that I was angry, and I didn't know why.

In that moment, the reason for my bitterness became clear to me.
I wasn't angry at Jamie or the redcoat deserters.
I was angry at myself for forgetting about my plan to make
my way back to the stones at Craigh Na Dun,
my plan to return to my own time, to my husband, Frank.

Claire start wandering the woods when Willie leave her to take care a personal business. And then suddenly she look straight to Craigh Na Dun. Separate by 2 different time, finally Frank and Claire are in the same place, try to find answer and reconnect. Before Claire touch the stone, she was captured by the redcoats.

Claire Fraser Monologue #3:

I tried to avoid thinking about the incident in the meadow,
but my mind kept returning to it, again, and again,
picking at a festering sore best left untouched.
And suddenly, there it was...
Craigh Na Dun.

My mind had been so clouded and confused,
I didn't recognize the road when we rode in.
There was no mistaking it.
I was back to the place where it had all begun.

So much had happened. So much had changed.
Last I was here, I was Claire Randall,
then Claire Beauchamp, then Claire Fraser.
The question was... who did I want to be?.


Claire is taken to Fort William and unfortunately meet Jonathan Randall again. Randall swear he will discover all the secret Claire hold and Claire strike back by mention the Duke of Sandringham. Black Jack eventually know Claire is lying with her story being Duke of Sandringham agent. .

Claire Fraser Monologue #4:

I knew where we were going without having to ask: Fort William.
The site of Jamie's incarceration and flogging four years ago,
and now, still the province of a man I unfortunately knew all too well.

He would have no advance notice of my capture.
No time to plan his interrogation.
I, on the other hand, had the entire jolting journey in the back of the wagon to think.
It was my one advantage.
I prayed it would be enough.

Claire Fraser Monologue #5:

A dangerous gambit to be sure, but his reaction told me that Frank and the Reverend were right in their speculation.

Music on Outlander Summary S01E08: Both Sides Now.


The Veil of Time & Fallen Through Time by Bear McCreary.
Seperated by diffrent time, Frank and Claire run to Craigh Na Dun desperate to reunite.

Fort William Rescue by Bear McCreary.
The end of episode. Jamie break the window to save Claire.

Comments

Popular Post This Week:

[Outlander Summary] S05E07: The Ballad of Roger Mac.

Claire Fraser Monolgue #1: We went to Hillsborough ready for what outcome, we couldn't know. But a good soldier is taught to be prepared, ready to fight, and ready to die if need be. But what no one can prepare for is to face family in the time of war. The militia arrived at the Alamance Creek, a Southwest of Hillsborough. When Jamie gives his militia a cockades for their identity in battle field, Isaiah Morton appear and ask for his. His present spark anger from Alicia Brown's family. Bree and Jemmy who wants to stay close to Roger stay with Aunt Jocasta's friend. Tryon received a report about the rebels led by Murtagh Fitzgibbons attack General Waddell's troops and forced to retreat. Know the position of regulators, the governor order to prepare the men even though a minister sent from the other side with a "peace" petition. Studied history in her time, the name of Alamance Creek remind Bree about the battle that for some people consider it to be...

[Outlander Summary] S02E12: The Hail Mary.

Claire Fraser Monologue #1: It was hard to believe that these were the same brave Highland warriors who had beaten the British army at Prestonpans and Falkirk, who had marched triumphantly into England. Five months of retreat with not enough food and brutal weather had left them broken and demoralized. Our worst nightmare was coming true and I felt completely helpless in the face of it. They arrive just outside of Inverness and get some rest. Even though Dougal and his men are tired, Jamie still ask him to take a patrol to locate the British army. Don't want waste more time, Jamie sent Murtagh to fetch the prince so they can make plan sooner. The three of them know what will happen next because Culloden Moor lies just a few miles east. When Claire go to Inverness to replenish her medical supplies, she met Mary Hawkins. Mary doesn't look happy to meet Claire because she knew what exactly Claire told Alex in Paris about their relationship . Claire offer Mary to apolo...

[Outlander Summary] S01E16: To Ransom a Man's Soul.

After Jamie surrender himself to Randall, he asked him to pay his debt. Before Randall pay his debt, he heard noises from corridor. The source is coming from the door Claire left unlocked. When Randall try to open it, the cattle break the door and hit Randall unconscious. Murtagh, Angus, and Rupert rescue Jamie from his cell. Claire anxious waiting for them on the road. She is in shock seeing Jamie condition, full of wounds and hallucination. Jamie is taken to a monastery, their temporary shelter. Afraid Jamie will be crippled for life, Claire determine to set his injured hand back. As Jamie beloved wife, Claire wants to know what Randall did to him. He simply said "Too much. And not enough." Randall break his soul as a man and a human being. With patient, Claire and brother Paul (a priest) taking care of Jamie. Giving him nourishment and try to heal his wounds, even though Jamie being stubborn and refuse any meal. Claire Fraser Monologue #1: During the war, I had...