Skip to main content

[Outlander Summary] S01E11: The Devil's Mark.


Claire and Geillis are taken to underground prison or what the warden call it a thieves' hole. They both keep blaming each other for the arrest. Claire say it's Laoghaire who arrange the letter tell her to go to Geillis house. Geillis eventually admit it, she poison her husband so she can marry Dougal.

Standing in front of judges and crowded room, they are both accused for the crime of witchcraft.

Claire Fraser Monologue #1:

There were no familiar faces in the crowd,
none of my friends from Castle Leoch.
My knowledge of witch trials told me that the accused rarely walked free.

Claire sigh a little bit relieve when Ned Gowan show up in the room. Ned give an argument that the trial itself is illegal because the witchcraft act was repealed by the House of Lords in 1735. Jeanie is the first witness to testify against both women.

Claire Fraser Monologue #2:

Jeanie was rigorous and detailed in her accusations.
For the better part of an hour, she built a convincing case against us.

The next witness is the mother of a child Claire found in the woods. Accuse Claire to put a strange spells over the bairn that caused its dead. Claire try to defend herself, tells the court she's the healer and just want to help the baby.

Claire Fraser Monologue #3:

Ned's skill at turning an argument on its head started to show promise, but as I looked around the room at these good people, I wondered what made them so ready to watch us burn.

Regardless of the evidence, they only wanted one outcome.

Back in their cage, Claire looks optimistic with Ned advocacy. But Geillis said the people just want to kill them both and later revealed herself as a part of Jacobite.

The next morning the first witness is Laoghaire. In her statement, she said Claire gave her a love potion to win Jamie Fraser's heart and then strike her in a confrontation. Claire said it was Laoghaire who sent her an ill wishes and set her up with the fake letter.


Father Bain also testify on the court. But, instead of be a witness against Claire, he praise her for saved Mrs. Graham's nephew life. Father Bain ask for God forgiveness and the court to release him from testimony obligation. At recess, Ned tells Claire and Geillis there's only one of them that can be saved.

Geillis ask Claire if she's going to be burn alive and let Claire lives, Claire need to be honest with her why she's in Scotland. Jamie break in to the court and save Claire. Before Jamie and Claire leave the room, Geillis confess she's guilty and show the villagers her "devil's mark".

Claire Fraser Monologue #4:

What the villagers saw as evidence of evil was actually the scar
of a smallpox vaccination.

And it hit me like a bolt of lightning.
Geillis was from the future, from 1968.

Jamie know Claire have the same mark as Geillis. He ask Claire to tell him the truth if she's a witch or not. Can't hold the secret anymore, Claire finally tell Jamie everything about herself. Even though he didn't understand it, Jamie believe everything Claire told him.

Claire Fraser Monologue #5:

I told him everything. The whole story came pouring out of me like a cataract of water over a broken dam.

I didn't realize how badly I needed to tell someone, anyone, until that moment.

He listened.

Over the next several days, we rode hard.

We were both determined to leave the castle and the trial far behind us, hopeful the distance would overshadow the questions that remained unanswered.

Jamie spoke repeatedly of Lallybroch, detailing the life we'd have together, the life he'd always imagined.

I tried to listen. I tried to invest in Lallybroch as my home.
I tried to imagine a life for us both, but I felt adrift, anchorless in a running sea.

Knowing Claire is always wanted to go home, Jamie take her to Craigh Na Dun. But, in the end of episode Claire decided to stay.


Music on Outlander S01E11: The Devil's Mark.


The Devil's Mark by Bear McCreary.
Playing when Geillis said the word "1968" and chaos started in court room.

Comments

Popular Post This Week:

[Outlander Summary] S01E01: Sassenach.

For a tv show, the first episode is very important. Because it will determine whether the audience will continue watching or not. Well, I belong to this category. There is no chance for the second or third episode hehehe. Outlander S01E01 "Sassenach" managed to attract me to watch the next episodes because of the interesting and solid storyline, and strong characteristics. When in fact I am less interested with a story "traveling through time" background. Claire Randall Monologue # 1: People disappear all the time. Young girls run away from home. Children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives take the grocery money, and a taxi to the train station. Most are found eventually. Disappearances, after all, have explanations. Usually. Strange, the things you remember. Single images and feelings that stay with you down through the years. Like the moment I realized I'd never owned a vase. That I'd never lived any place l...

[Outlander Summary] S01E06: The Garrison Commander.

Concern about Claire well being, lieutenant Jeremy Foster take her to meet his commander at Brockton. Dougal come along with them. Claire is welcome by the brigadier general, Sir Oliver Lord Thomas, and join him and his men for lunch. There's a tension interaction between Dougal and Lord Thomas that makes Dougal has to leave the room. Claire Randall Monologue #1: Even though I wasn't going by my own choice, I still felt a heaviness leave my breast. And for the first time since I passed through the standing stones at Craigh na Dun, I found myself surrounded by my own people. They might be called Redcoats instead of Tommies, but they were still the British Army I had been a part of for six long years. And somehow it felt liberating to be looked upon with sympathy and respect instead of hostility and suspicion. I knew only too well what Dougal was feeling. A Scottish village it may be, and on Mackenzie land at that, but for Dougal, it was now enemy territory, and...

[Outlander Summary] S02E05: Untimely Resurrection.

Claire Monologue #1: I hadn't noticed the noise of the clock before that evening, but in that moment, each annoying tick filled my head, reminding me that Jamie wasn't there. After our dinner party disintegrated into a brawl, the gens d'armes had come and arrested everyone. But it was all a misunderstanding. Alex Randall hadn't raped Mary Hawkins, and Jamie had nothing to do with any of it. Because of the incident at dinner , Jamie and Murtagh were taken by police for investigation. Claire accompany by Fergus waiting for them until morning when they finally get home. Alex Randall himself is not so lucky. He stay in prison because someone testify they see him attack Mary. Jamie set Murtagh to follow St. German, because he's leaving dinner with Sandringham, and nothing good comes from them. He wants to know who's behind the attack of Claire and Mary. Murtagh later inform Jamie there's nothing suspicious about St. German. He can't forgive hims...